Monday, January 20, 2014

Corinthians 13: Love is, Love Ain't, 4,

This might be the most famous love passage in the world,
at least the Bible reading English speaking world


1 Corinthians 13

New International Version (NIV)

13 If I speak in the tongues[ of men or of angels, 

but do not have love, 
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
 and if I have a faith that can move mountains, 
but do not have love, 
I am nothing. 

If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b]
but do not have love, 
I gain nothing.

Love is patient, 
love is kind. 
It does not envy, 
it does not boast, 
it is not proud. 

It does not dishonor others, 
it is not self-seeking, 
it is not easily angered, 
it keeps no record of wrongs. 

Love does not delight in evil 
but rejoices with the truth. 

It always protects, always trusts, 
always hopes, 
always perseveres.

Love never fails. 
But where there are prophecies, they will cease; 
where there are tongues, they will be stilled; 
where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

  For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 
10 but when completeness comes, 
what is in part disappears. 

11 When I was a child, 
I talked like a child, 
I thought like a child, 
I reasoned like a child. 

When I became a man, 
I put the ways of childhood behind me.
  12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror;  ( this is the glass darkly one, I believe)
 then we shall see face to face. 

Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, 
even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: 
faith,
 hope and 
love. 

But the greatest of these is love.


Well, that's a pretty good start

A few quibbles:
the ways of a child
can be selfish and petty,
but they also have this remarkable trait,
they meet someone
and instantly,
without background check
preliminary maneuvering, or judgment
they are instantly 'BEST FRIENDS."

That's something not worth putting away

But the me, me, me
give me , give me
of a child
yeah,
that's the death of love

But, let's go now to the juice:

No matter what you've got,
if you've got no love,
your life sucks

Okay.
That's out of the way

except what it says about what love is:

Love is
Core to a well lived and meaningful life

and What is love,
in this accounting:

Love is:
patient
kind
rejoices in truth

What Love Ain't fills a bigger list:
Not envious
Not boastful
Not proud
Doesn't dishonor others
Not easily angered
Not keeping records.


That one
can save many a relationship:
Stop the record keeping:

You done
such
and
such
and
such

to me

Or:
write them down,
and figure out a way to
love each and every one

This passage doesn't say that love
is forgiving
but
without forgiveness
and letting go

love is dead

and what is life
with letting go and forgiveness?

Life in the present.

And what is truth?
Life in the present

There are lots of ways to go from here

Good
We won't

In this present
Can you let go a couple of thoughts that are
holding you back
from loving Reality
exactly as it is

Now?

If so,
are you willing to let them go?

And if so,k
When?


Love is an action.

Play
there

play and play
playing in the fields of love,
where the child and the adult come
to fullness
yes
good

No comments: