Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Moshe and Osho and Gurdjieff and me

Who am I?

Same as you, a miracle of learning and discovery.

My latest discovery is this book:
by Osho: Titled: Courage, the Joy of Living Dangerously














While I'm at Amazon links, this Title Freedom: The Courage to Be Yourself (Osho, Insights for a New Way of Living Series)
 
reminds me of the Gurdjieff work I was involved in
for many years in Berkeley under the guidance
of a bad boy conscious fellow by the name of
David Daniels.

David was always boiling the work down to
this;
either you are yourself,
or you're trying to fit into what others
want you to be.





The first book, the top book, the one that I fell into by moving into
a new place where the old tenant let me borrow some of her books
(If you ever get a chance, this one
is amazing:
)
Anyway the Joy of Living Dangerous came to me
reading eyes heart and mind:
and it so reminded me of Moshe and his brutal and
fearless intelligence, lack of hesitation in calling the stupid
the stupid,
and their mutually blunt, and obvious, analysis of Society
as the mechanism for making drones out of one
and all.


Moshe has some marvelous quotes about the mask,
behind which we hide our lives,
and if we keep busy enough, we don't feel the pain
of not knowing who we really are or what our real heart's content is.

That's of course in
Awareness Through Movement
(what a new cover, eh?
but then again neither Moshe
nor Osho was one to hide from the
obvious joy, centrality and usefulness
of Good Sex
as a healing and nurturing aspect of life)

David used to talk about the human need for
warmth, and how sometimes you could satisfy that
within the usual codes, and sometimes you couldn't.

Maybe I "shouldn't" put that here.
Oh, well.

Life is good and long, and we all started like this story in the Osho book:
Two men are bragging about how far back they can remember.

One, quite huffed up, says: I remember playing with my kitten in my backyard
when I was just three years old.

The other nods, and then says: I remember going to a picnic with my parents.
When I went to the picnic I was in my father.
When I came home from the picnic, I was in my mother.

So be it.

The broad suggestion in Osho"s book
is to prepare for death by at all times
chose the unknown over the known.

The known is safe and what the mind wants.
The unknown is a risk and a thrill and what the heart wants.

Moshe was reputed to have a huge curiosity
and tolerance for ambiguity.

Katie, as in Byron Katie, sees herself as a woman
set free because she lives in and from,
"I don't know."

Our work, in the Feldenkrais and Anat Baniel method,
thrives from living and acting from the "I don't know,"
the discovering of just one little option for one little movement
in our client,
and linking that to a larger awareness,
and a bunch more of "I don't knows"
explored,
and connections found,
and all along brain cells and pathways are being created.

They come in for a lesson with one brain.
They go home with another.

This is the food of the new,
the food of the now,
the food of the unknown.

May we have happy eating today.


No comments: